Patricia K. Schmehl, MSN, RN
- 2002-2004 MSN and Acute Care Nurse Practitioner - Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ
- 1991-1996 Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Kutztown University, Kutztown, PA
- 1975-1978 Diploma in Nursing - St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing, Reading, PA
- June 2016 to present: Full-time nursing faculty in the Undergraduate BSN program - Alvernia University
- August 2006 to present: Full-time associate professor in the ADN program - Reading Area Community College, Reading, PA
- December 2005 to August 2006t: Adjunct clinical instructor - Reading Area Community College, Reading, PA
- October 2004 to December 2005: Acute Care Nurse Practitioner - Berks Cardiologists Ltd., Reading, PA
- January 1998 to October 2004: Medical Intensive Care Unit, RN staff - Reading Hospital and Medical Center, Reading, PA
- Author, Introduction to Concept Mapping in Nursing: Critical Thinking in Practice (2013), Jones & Bartlett Learning
- Appointed as team leader for nursing course with duties such as overseeing course plan and completion, maintaining records or team meeting minutes and completing course reports as well as formatting student clinical rotations and faculty teaching assignments/class schedules.
- Originated a lecture on concept mapping to meet objectives related to critical thinking and keeping current with professional nursing educational standards.
- Created a data collection tool and assignment guidelines for concept map completion as part of the clinical rotation. Provided faculty education on concept mapping as well as orientation to the guidelines.\
- Assisted with integration of nursing simulation into the curriculum.
- Appointed NLN ambassador for Reading Area Community College’s nursing program.
- Sat as a member of the college wide Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Committee serving as a liaison between the nursing program and the college assessment coordinator. Maintained and researched data related to nursing student learning outcomes.
- Oriented new faculty as needed.
Additional Professional Activities
- BLS Certification
- Nurse author for CEU courses through Pedagogyeducation.com
- Critical Thinking in Cardiac Assessment
- Critical Thinking and Medication Administration
- Critical Thinking and Oxygen Therapies
- Medication Reconciliation