Students: celebrate your accomplishments!
Alvernia University uses MERIT to publicize student achievements and activities on campus – like studying abroad, making the dean’s list, or honor society inductions.
We send stories about your accomplishments to your hometown newspaper and publish achievement badges to an online profile — made just for you — at on alvernia.meritpages.com. (It’s kind of like getting badges from Foursquare, except that these badges are for real accomplishments instead of just visiting a building.
You’ll receive an email each time Alvernia recognizes something you’ve done on campus. Be sure to share your badges with family and friends through social media, blogs, etc.
Did you know that 75% of companies will research applicants online, and that 70% have rejected applicants based on what they found? Don’t be a statistic. Check your privacy settings on Facebook and Twitter, and share your Merit accomplishments profile with potential employers to help land that great job or internship! You can even personalize your Merit page and add other activities and accomplishments that employers might be interested in.
Do more with your profile…
You can enhance your Merit accomplishment profile by claiming your page and uploading photos and activities to make it more personal.
You and your family can really help get your achievements in front of employers and grad schools by liking them, tweeting them, linking to them (on blogs or other websites), posting them to Tumblr and whatever else you can think of.
Don't see accomplishments for everything you're up to? You can input achievements such as activities, internships, volunteerism, and work experience.
- History: Established as a private four-year liberal arts college in 1958, Alvernia celebrated its 50th year by being awarded university status in 2008.
- Heritage: Founded by the Bernardine Sisters, a Catholic religious order, the university embraces the Franciscan core values of service, humility, collegiality, contemplation and peacemaking.
- Motto: “To Learn, To Love, To Serve”
- Campus: The main campus in Reading is 121 acres, with two satellite campuses in Philadelphia and Pottsville (Schuylkill County).
- Location: Our residential campus is situated three miles from center-city Reading, in the scenic Blue Mountain area of Eastern Pennsylvania.
- Enrollment: 3,000 students attend Alvernia including 1,500 traditional undergraduates, 600 continuing education students, and 780 graduate students. Over 77% of first-year students live on campus.
- Faculty: Our professors are accomplished scholars, experts in their fields, and supportive mentors. The student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1. Most classes are 20 students or fewer.
- Athletics: NCAA Division III, member of the Commonwealth Conference of the Middle Atlantic States Athletic Corporation and member of Eastern College Athletic Conference, 8 men’s and 10 women’s intercollegiate sports.