Elizabeth Kirk Matteo, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychology
How long have you been working at Alvernia?
I have worked at Alvernia for five years.
Can you please describe your job here at Alvernia?
I teach psychology, advise students, serve on faculty and community committees, and conduct research in my field.
What would you say is your favorite part about your job?
Challenging students to think about human problems from a variety of perspectives and being a catalyst for their intellectual and social development.
When you aren't at Alvernia what do how do you like to spend your time?
I enjoy traveling, hiking, and gardening.
Where is your favorite place to eat on or off campus?
Hong Thanh in Reading
- History: Established as a private four-year liberal arts college in 1958, Alvernia celebrated its 50th year by being awarded university status in 2008.
- Heritage: Founded by the Bernardine Sisters, a Catholic religious order, the university embraces the Franciscan core values of service, humility, collegiality, contemplation and peacemaking.
- Motto: “To Learn, To Love, To Serve”
- Campus: The main campus in Reading is 121 acres, with two satellite campuses in Philadelphia and Pottsville (Schuylkill County).
- Location: Our residential campus is situated three miles from center-city Reading, in the scenic Blue Mountain area of Eastern Pennsylvania.
- Enrollment: 3,000 students attend Alvernia including 1,500 traditional undergraduates, 600 continuing education students, and 780 graduate students. Over 77% of first-year students live on campus.
- Faculty: Our professors are accomplished scholars, experts in their fields, and supportive mentors. The student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1. Most classes are 20 students or fewer.
- Athletics: NCAA Division III, member of the Commonwealth Conference of the Middle Atlantic States Athletic Corporation and member of Eastern College Athletic Conference, 8 men’s and 10 women’s intercollegiate sports.