Francis Hall Project BeginsDate: 4/5/2011
Work is slated to begin on the exciting Francis Hall campus-side entryway and renovation beginning the week of April 11. The project will transform the space inside and out and includes creation of a contemporary entryway and foyer that provides access to the Theater and Recital Hall as well as a new art gallery, music studios, and recital spaces. A dramatically terraced student plaza will be completed on the exterior with a water feature and patio. Plans call for the project to be finished in time for the beginning of the fall semester.
As a result of the construction, visitors as well as faculty, staff and students are reminded of these important changes:
Francis Hall AccessEffective the week of April 11, those entering Francis Hall should use the Court Yard door or the front, main entry way as indicated on this map. Access to the existing primary campus side entrance will be limited. Easy to understand signage will indicate the appropriate doors for use.
ParkingParking will also be affected during this time. All parking in front of Francis Hall will be eliminated as those areas will be under construction. Guest parking will be established in the smaller “Library” lot adjacent to the greenhouse. Faculty and staff who normally park in Francis Hall spaces should find parking in existing Faculty & Staff lots.
Hours of ActivityConstruction activity will generally occur between the hours of 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Some of the early external excavation work may be performed during a 3 p.m. – 11 p.m. evening shift to mitigate the disruption of classes. All efforts will be made to limit disruptive activity.
Additional security measures will be in place to ensure safety during the construction period.
- History: Established as a private four-year liberal arts college in 1958, Alvernia celebrated its 50th year by being awarded university status in 2008.
- Heritage: Founded by the Bernardine Sisters, a Catholic religious order, the university embraces the Franciscan core values of service, humility, collegiality, contemplation and peacemaking.
- Motto: “To Learn, To Love, To Serve”
- Campus: The main campus in Reading is 121 acres, with two satellite campuses in Philadelphia and Pottsville (Schuylkill County).
- Location: Our residential campus is situated three miles from center-city Reading, in the scenic Blue Mountain area of Eastern Pennsylvania.
- Enrollment: 3,000 students attend Alvernia including 1,500 traditional undergraduates, 600 continuing education students, and 780 graduate students. Over 77% of first-year students live on campus.
- Faculty: Our professors are accomplished scholars, experts in their fields, and supportive mentors. The student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1. Most classes are 20 students or fewer.
- Athletics: NCAA Division III, member of the Commonwealth Conference of the Middle Atlantic States Athletic Corporation and member of Eastern College Athletic Conference, 8 men’s and 10 women’s intercollegiate sports.