2011 Career and Internship FairDate: 3/17/2011
The 2011 Career and Internship Fair will take place on Friday, March 18 in the PEC. There will be 49 employers in all majors looking to fill full-time, part-time, and internship positions. Free t-shirts will be given to the first 50 appropriately dressed candidates. Please come dressed in interviewing attire and bring copies of your resume. There will be a drawing for a $50 gift certificate to the Alvernia bookstore and other prizes will be raffled every half hour. There is an opportunity at the fair for everyone! See the full list of employers and their table assignments.
Freshmen: Do you want a summer job? Where do you want to intern next year? How about asking questions from top people in big local companies, about your major field?
For example, Target and Verizon are both going to be there, and local hospitals, and some schools, and many CJ, Psych, Business, OT, Nursing, and Communications employers. Meet them face to face! They know what to ask you. You should just go with an open mind, to get comfortable in talking with employers!
Sophomores: This is your big year to find an exciting internship! Do it here. How about the State Police? Berks Community TV? Caron? Or get a summer job in your field and gain experience!
Juniors: This is the big one. Accounting Major? They want to hire you NOW for the summer as an intern. This is the time for internship #2 to really cement your chances of being hired at graduation, or to arrange your Nursing Externship for the summer. Earn money and know what you are doing on the job! Network so employer remember you for your senior year.
Seniors: 49 Employers are here to see you. Face to face. We have the biggest fair in Berks for colleges of our size. They WANT Alvernia grads! You will not have such a good opportunity again to talk with the real decision-makers. Make the most of it! Bring many resumes, get hired for your first post-college job! Even if you don’t see your preferred position here, go and practice to work out your interviewing glitches. Then you will be ready for the job interview you want the most.
Graduate Students & Alumni: Our MBA, MACCA, MLA, and M.Ed. students will all find some employers here to interest them. Verizon, Target, and others hire here for their annual Management Team recruitment, with excellent starting wages and rapid advancement. Many human services employers coming. Again, not to be missed.
- History: Established as a private four-year liberal arts college in 1958, Alvernia celebrated its 50th year by being awarded university status in 2008.
- Heritage: Founded by the Bernardine Sisters, a Catholic religious order, the university embraces the Franciscan core values of service, humility, collegiality, contemplation and peacemaking.
- Motto: “To Learn, To Love, To Serve”
- Campus: The main campus in Reading is 121 acres, with two satellite campuses in Philadelphia and Pottsville (Schuylkill County).
- Location: Our residential campus is situated three miles from center-city Reading, in the scenic Blue Mountain area of Eastern Pennsylvania.
- Enrollment: 3,000 students attend Alvernia including 1,500 traditional undergraduates, 600 continuing education students, and 780 graduate students. Over 77% of first-year students live on campus.
- Faculty: Our professors are accomplished scholars, experts in their fields, and supportive mentors. The student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1. Most classes are 20 students or fewer.
- Athletics: NCAA Division III, member of the Commonwealth Conference of the Middle Atlantic States Athletic Corporation and member of Eastern College Athletic Conference, 8 men’s and 10 women’s intercollegiate sports.