Master of Science in Nursing
The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is designed for professional nurses who are seeking a career in nursing education. As a student, you’ll learn about instructing pre-licensed nursing students in classroom, clinical and nursing simulation lab settings and about teaching new and experienced RNs new skills.
Our program will prepare you to be a competent nurse educator and will also provide the academic preparation needed to enter doctoral studies in either a practice- or research-focused program. If your goal is to advance your career as a nursing or health instructor, Alvernia’s MSN with a Nursing Education Focus will help you get there.
The MSN faculty brings real-world insight into the classroom and are dedicated to sharing their areas of expertise. This, along with a convenient location in Pottstown, hybrid courses and flexible scheduling, creates a quality learning experience that is attuned to the MSN student’s needs.
CURRICULUM OVERVIEW (36 credits)
REQUIRED INTERDISCIPLINARY COURSES (9 credits)
- COR 510 Moral Leadership (3 credits)
- COR 600 Organizational and Professional Ethics (3 credits)
- Elective (3 credits)
NURSING EDUCATION COURSES (12 credits)
- NUR 560 Policy and Curriculum (3 credits)
- NUR 630 Measuring Educational Outcomes (3 credits)
- NUR 640 Evidenced-Based Teaching Practice (3 credits)
- NUR 642 Teaching Strategies in Nursing: Practicum (3 credits)
- Nursing Practice Courses (9 credits)
- NUR 530 Advanced Health Assessment (3 credits)
- NUR 540 Advanced Pathophysiology/Pharmacology (3 credits)
- NUR 632 Evidenced-Based Clinical Practice: focus choices below (3 credits)
- (Choice of clinical focus in adult health, maternal-child, community, or behavioral health)
NURSING THEORY AND RESEARCH COURSES (6 credits)
- NUR 550 Professional Nursing Theory and Research (3 credits)
- NUR 650 Nurse Educator Role Synthesis: Capstone (3 credits)
A Master of Science in Nursing degree from Alvernia University provides great value for your money. Alvernia University is currently offering students from Montgomery County Community College accepted into the MSN Program a 20% Tuition Scholarship on all credits. In addition, Alvernia offers a generous Tuition Deferment Program that allows students to defer their bill for up to 60 days after class completion.
Please note this program will start at MCCC Pottstown in Spring 2014 but we're currently accepting applications or can send you more information. Alvernia has a seamless admissions process for Montgomery County Community College students. Alvernia is able to use the same application materials from MCCC to expedite your application process. We’ll also waive the application fee to help get you started.