Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Science
The Healthcare Science degree program prepares adult students for work in healthcare agencies, businesses and medical settings in positions such as educators, counselors, science health writers, policy analysts and healthcare managers. By emphasizing health behavior theories through the use of educational programming and experience, this program offers students a variety of tools and techniques for use in their profession, and encourages the promotion of healthy lifestyles for persons of all abilities, income levels and social/cultural backgrounds.
Program graduates demonstrate a mastery of healthcare science, the ability to engage in critical assessment and the desire to serve the community. This program expands on a healthcare professional’s current skill-set and positions them for career advancement, as well as, creates a new skill-set for first time students in the healthcare environment.
In addition to new students entering healthcare for the first time, individuals in the following positions could benefit from this degree for career advancement:
- Surgical Technologists
- Dental Hygienists
- Medical Imaging Technologists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Respiratory Therapists
- Other Allied Healthcare Professionals
PROGRAM OF STUDY
The partnership between Alvernia and Montgomery County Community College guarantees that 100 percent of your MCCC degree curriculum transfers directly to Alvernia’s Healthcare Science Program.
LIBERAL ARTS CORE (31-55 credits)
Alvernia University students are required to complete between 31 to 55 credits toward the Liberal Arts core. Transfer work may be applicable for this area.
GENERAL ELECTIVE REQUIREMENTS (as needed)*
100 level approved Biology with lab required.
*A total of a minimum of 123 credits are required to earn a Bachelor’s Degree. Residency rules apply. Transfer students who qualify for the Mid-Degree program must complete a minimum of 30 Alvernia credits at the 300/+ level.
HEALTHCARE SCIENCE MAJOR REQUIREMENTS (30 credits)
- HCS 200 Foundations of Healthcare Science (3 credits)
- HCS 300 Writing for Healthcare Science (3 credits)
- HCS 310 Healthcare Literacy & Advocacy (3 credits)
- HCS 320 Healthcare Science & Cultural Competence (3 credits)
- HCS 330 Health & Wellness Over the Lifespan (3 credits)
- HCS 340 Healthcare Science Management (3 credits)
- HCS 400 Healthcare Systems & Policy (3 credits)
- HCS 410 Community Health Org & Admin (3 credits)
- HCS 420 Current Issues in Healthcare Science (3 credits)
- HCS 430 Healthcare Science Capstone (3 credits)
RELATED REQUIREMENTS (15 credits)
- PSY 101 Intro to Psychology (Social Science Core applicable) (3 credits)
- BIO 216 Nutrition (3 credits)
- BIO 410 Pathophysiology (3 credits)
- PSY 208 Human Development Across the Lifespan (3 credits)
- SOC 111 Intro to Sociology (3 credits)
RELATED ELECTIVES (Choose 15 credits)
Select from courses in communications, biology, social work, business, behavioral health and more.
A healthcare science degree from Alvernia University provides great value for your money. Alvernia University is currently offering students from Montgomery County Community College accepted into the Healthcare Science Program a 20% Tuition Scholarship on all credits. In addition, Alvernia offers a generous Tuition Deferment Program that allows students to defer their bill for up to 60 days after class completion.
Please note this program will start at MCCC Pottstown in Spring 2014 but we're currently accepting applications or can send you more information. Alvernia has a seamless admissions process for Montgomery County Community College nursing students. Alvernia is able to use the same application materials from MCCC to expedite your application process. We’ll also waive the application fee to help get you started.