The Part-Time Disability Services Coordinator oversees all processes related to reviewing disability documentation, determining eligibility for reasonable accommodations, and carrying out accommodations when necessary in compliance with state, federal, and institutional regulations. He/she will ensure that Alvernia students, prospective students, and faculty are provided current and accurate information about the University’s policies and procedures regarding eligibility for accommodations. Essential Functions:
1. Provide information, referral, and support to prospective and enrolled students with disabilities.
2. In compliance with state, federal, and institutional regulations, review disability documentation and determine eligibility for services and develop a plan for the provision of reasonable accommodations.
3. Document, maintain and review case records, notes, and related information while maintaining confidentiality.
4. Maintain knowledge of current legislation and national, state, and local issues affecting access for students with disabilities.
5. Develop/maintain web resources to provide students with disabilities necessary information on procedures, contact information, etc.
6. Create or improve all current processes related to academic accommodations, including but not limited to:
• Assisting students in understanding their disabilities and their rights and responsibilities relating to reasonable accommodations
• Coordinating communication between students with disabilities and faculty.
• Establishing and communicating policies related to accommodated testing, i.e. scheduling exams, receiving/returning exams from/to faculty, proctoring exams, and maintaining appropriate/necessary assistive technology.
7. Develop/strengthen services and/or programs to increase academic success of students with documented learning disabilities.
8. Supervise Graduate Assistant(s) responsible for proctoring accommodated exams.
9. Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University.Additional Responsibilities:
1. Performs other services as deemed reasonable by Director.Qualifications/Education:
1. Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
2. Masters Degree in Higher Education Counseling, Disability Services, Rehabilitation or Counseling, or related field is strongly preferred. Previous significant work experience in an educational/college setting providing or assisting with disability services, or equivalent.
3. Functional knowledge of key legislation (Rehab Act, ADA, state regulations) related to disability and of the functional impact of various disabling conditions.
4. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
5. Skill/fluency in American Sign Language a plusPhysical Requirements:
1. Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job.
Contact Name: Human Resources