Academic Learning SpecialistJob Summary:
The Academic Learning Specialist is responsible for the initiation, development, implementation, and assessment of a range of activities to enhance student performance at the university. He/she will work with faculty in the disciplines and University Life staff to find ways to assist students academically, socially, and/or personally in an effort to improve student persistence in academic programs and monitor academic progress at the University.Essential Functions:
1. Develop, design, plan, coordinate and implement a comprehensive Academic Support Program to support academic success in collaboration with administration, faculty, and professional staff.
2. Coordinate and implement individualized academic support plans for identified students.
3. Work with faculty in academic learning support as needed (e.g. with underperforming in certain disciplines).
4. Create a welcoming atmosphere for students and faculty seeking learning assistance.
5. Oversee the placement test process, including coordinating with the faculty who design tests, administering tests, and collecting and disseminating results.
6. Develop and teach sections of success skills course(s).
7. Work with faculty and staff to design and implement special projects that contribute to the achievement of program and institutional retention goals.
8. Oversee supplemental instruction, coaching, and tutoring interactions with students.
9. Provide academic and advisory assistance and advocacy for under-performing student populations.
10. Help determine appropriate assessment measures for programs and services offered; conduct evaluations; track, analyze, and monitor feedback.
11. Maintain documentation and database(s) for the purpose of monitoring student academic performance, retention, graduation, student interactions, referrals and other information as needed.
12. Interact regularly with deans, support staff, and academic advisors.
13. Assist with the preparation of reports to inform associate dean of program outcomes and progress.
14. Assess the operations and student learning outcomes associated with academic support efforts.
Outreach / Programming
1. Oversee the marketing of Learning Center services to the campus community.
2. Manage promotional materials that support targeted students.
3. Oversee the conduction of small group workshops for students on topics surrounding academic success.
4. Assess and respond to changing needs for academic support by course or discipline.
5. Communicate with parents concerning student issues, challenges, and academic progress.
6. Work with the Associate Dean for Educational Planning, academic deans, academic departments and other campus entities to collaboratively ensure student success. Supervision
1. Assist in recruiting, hiring, training, and supervising peer mentors, coaches, tutors, and student staff and supporting their academic success.Additional Responsibilities:
1. Ability to demonstrate excellent communication skills and proficiency in academic writing styles
2. Demonstrate a high degree of professional reliability, good judgment and appropriate utilization of resources
3. University committee work as assigned
4. Participation in campus wide activities such as open houses, Connection Days, Orientation, and Commencement activities
5. Ongoing professional development including presentation at meetings or conferences
6. Represent the university at academic and community events
7. Flexible work hours as required by university or student needs
8. Other duties as assigned by the Provost, Vice President for University Life, or Associate Dean for Educational Planning Qualifications/Education:
1. Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University
2. Master’s degree in a relevant discipline and several years related experience or equivalent
3. Ability to demonstrate understanding of academic and personal support needs of first year students
4. Knowledge of registration and advising processes, including the needs of new students and the parents of new students
5. Experience with managing complex processes
6. Exceptional organizational skills
7. Proficiency in Access and all Microsoft applications Physical Requirements:
1. Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job. Contact: Human ResourcesPosting Date:
August 2, 2013