Slam Poet: Lauren Zuniga
Lauren Zuniga is a nationally touring poet, teaching artist and activist. In 2010, she challenged the Oklahoma legislature with an evocative video poem that received national attention and moved the state’s governor to tears. She was nominated for State Poet Laureate, performed at the prestigious TEDx conference and has since shared stages with top business leaders, state officials and rock stars.
Zuniga is the one of the top five ranked female poets in the world, the 2012 Activist-in-Residence for the Center for Social Justice at the University of Oklahoma, and the founder of Oklahoma Young Writers.
Since 2009, she has toured from Canada to New York to Texas offering a fresh style of strong imagery and inspiring passion. Her work has been featured in two independent films and on XM Radio, MoveOn.org, Daily Kos, Crooks and Liars, Being Liberal and RH Reality Check, among many other media outlets. She was one of seven winners chosen for Write Bloody Publishing’s 2011 open submission competition for her second poetry collection, The Smell of Good Mud.
A poetry workshop with Zuniga will be held from 2-3:30 pm, on Oct. 17. Please contact Robyn Stuart if you are interested in attending.
This event is part of the 2012 Literary Festival.Start Date: 10/17/2012 8:00 pm
End Date: 10/17/2012 9:00 pm
Location: Crusader Cafe
Sponsor: Campus Activities Board
- History: Established as a private four-year liberal arts college in 1958, Alvernia celebrated its 50th year by being awarded university status in 2008.
- Heritage: Founded by the Bernardine Sisters, a Catholic religious order, the university embraces the Franciscan core values of service, humility, collegiality, contemplation and peacemaking.
- Motto: “To Learn, To Love, To Serve”
- Campus: The main campus in Reading is 121 acres, with two satellite campuses in Philadelphia and Pottsville (Schuylkill County).
- Location: Our residential campus is situated three miles from center-city Reading, in the scenic Blue Mountain area of Eastern Pennsylvania.
- Enrollment: 3,000 students attend Alvernia including 1,500 traditional undergraduates, 600 continuing education students, and 780 graduate students. Over 77% of first-year students live on campus.
- Faculty: Our professors are accomplished scholars, experts in their fields, and supportive mentors. The student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1. Most classes are 20 students or fewer.
- Athletics: NCAA Division III, member of the Commonwealth Conference of the Middle Atlantic States Athletic Corporation and member of Eastern College Athletic Conference, 8 men’s and 10 women’s intercollegiate sports.