Muslim Women in America
Ever wondered about the meaning of veils across Muslim women’s faces or why some wear them and some don’t? Come out and listen to what these women have to say about their veils and why they wear them.
This event will occur during two separate time slots: 2-3 p.m. and 7-8 p.m., both are held in the Bernardine Hall Lecture Hall.Start Date: 3/12/2012 8:00 pm
End Date: 3/12/2012 9:00 pm
Location: Bernardine Hall Lecture Hall
Sponsor: Multi-Cultural Initiatives
- History: Established as a private four-year liberal arts college in 1958, Alvernia celebrated its 50th year by being awarded university status in 2008.
- Heritage: Founded by the Bernardine Sisters, a Catholic religious order, the university embraces the Franciscan core values of service, humility, collegiality, contemplation and peacemaking.
- Motto: “To Learn, To Love, To Serve”
- Campus: The main campus in Reading is 121 acres, with two satellite campuses in Philadelphia and Pottsville (Schuylkill County).
- Location: Our residential campus is situated three miles from center-city Reading, in the scenic Blue Mountain area of Eastern Pennsylvania.
- Enrollment: 3,000 students attend Alvernia including 1,500 traditional undergraduates, 600 continuing education students, and 780 graduate students. Over 77% of first-year students live on campus.
- Faculty: Our professors are accomplished scholars, experts in their fields, and supportive mentors. The student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1. Most classes are 20 students or fewer.
- Athletics: NCAA Division III, member of the Commonwealth Conference of the Middle Atlantic States Athletic Corporation and member of Eastern College Athletic Conference, 8 men’s and 10 women’s intercollegiate sports.