Praxis Registration DeadlineStart Date: 6/24/2010End Date: 6/24/2010Contact: Register online at www.ets.org/praxis/register or
contact Amy Secor, Certification Coordinator for more information.
- History: Established as a private four-year liberal arts
college in 1958, Alvernia celebrated its 50th year by being awarded
university status in 2008.
- Heritage: Founded by the Bernardine Sisters, a Catholic religious order, the university embraces the Franciscan core values of service, humility, collegiality, contemplation and peacemaking.
- Motto: “To Learn, To Love, To Serve”
- Campus: The main campus in Reading is 121 acres, with two satellite campuses in Philadelphia and Pottsville (Schuylkill County).
- Location: Our residential campus is situated three miles
from center-city Reading, in the scenic Blue Mountain area of Eastern
- Enrollment: 3,000 students attend Alvernia including 1,500
traditional undergraduates, 600 continuing education students, and 780
graduate students. Over 77% of first-year students live on campus.
- Faculty: Our professors are accomplished scholars, experts in their fields, and supportive mentors. The student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1. Most classes are 20 students or fewer.
- Athletics: NCAA Division III, member of the Commonwealth
Conference of the Middle Atlantic States Athletic Corporation and
member of Eastern College Athletic Conference, 8 men’s and 10 women’s