In writing enhanced (WE) courses, professors incorporate writing that helps students learn course content while improving written communication skills. Professors have the opportunity to work with the Writing Program Director and the Writing Across the Curriculum Committee. The Writing Program offers workshops that are designed to create materials relating to WE courses and to discuss best practices for writing instruction. Those teaching WE courses also have the opportunity to work with trained student Writing Mentors.
Procedure for Creating a WE course:
1. Consult with Writing Program Director
2. For fall courses, submit materials (see proposal link below) by March 1 of the previous year. For spring courses, submit materials by Oct. 1 of the fall semester. * Timeline created in order to guarantee mentors for those who wish for this support and in order for the course to be designated as WE in the catalog.
3. Writing Across the Curriculum Committee will meet to review application.
4. Revise materials based on feedback from committee, if needed.
5. Course approved by commitee. Indicate interest/willingness to work with Mentor.
6. Syllabus and curriculum change form are submitted to curriculum committee. MUST BE SIGNED by Writing Program Director.
7. Course is included in catalog as WE and shall be taught this way by all instructors in all formats. Attendance at Writing Workshops strongly recommended.
AT 301 Course Designer: Dolores Bertoti
BH 204 Course Designer: David Reyher
HCS 300 Course Designer: Mary Ann Durant
PSY 230 Course Designer: Di You
ENG 202 Course Designer: Thomas Bierowski
EDU 270 Course Designer: Kathy McCord