Edgar J. Hartung, M.A., J.D.
Professor Edgar J. Hartung joined the faculty of the Criminal Justice Department at Alvernia in August of 2003.
Prior to teaching at Alvernia, he was a practitioner in the field of criminal justice for more than thirty-two years, including twenty-seven years with the FBI.
Professor Hartung’s employment history also includes two years as a corporate pilot, and five years with the United States Air Force. He is a Vietnam veteran, with eighty-seven combat missions to his credit.
Professor Hartung is a peer reviewer for the International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education and the Journal of Equity & Excellence in Education. He is a consultant for the National Institute of Justice (NIJ), NIJ Consulting Database, Office of Justice Programs, United States Department of Justice.
Professor Hartung has presented research papers at international conferences, including Burnaby, B.C., Canada, Chicago, Illinois, Baltimore, Maryland, Seattle, Washington, Cincinnati, Ohio, Boston, Massachusetts, and Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The BCPS/Berks Connection, at their 30th Anniversary Celebration in 2005, presented Professor Hartung with “The Paul J. Hoh Award,” for the volunteer who exemplified the team spirit and dedication of volunteerism. Professor Hartung was selected “Outstanding Faculty Member, 2005 – 2006,” by the Alvernia Student Government Association in 2006.
- J.D., Cleveland-Marshal College of Law, Cleveland State University
- M.A., Sam Houston State University – Police Science and Administration
- B.S., Rio Grande College – Secondary Education – History
- Alvernia University, Criminal Justice Department, August 2003 – Present
- Cleveland Heights, Ohio Police Department, 1998 – 2003
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), 1970 – 1998
- K.M. Williams Company, Representative of Smith & Wesson Firearms Company, 1969 – 1970
- United States Air Force, 1964 – 1969
Licenses and Certifications
- Attorney and Counselor of Law, Ohio
- Certified Instructor, Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission
- Airline Transport Pilot (ATP), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Multiengine Land
- Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) and Instrument Instructor (CFII), FAA
Courses Taught at Alvernia University
- MBA 590 - ST: Crisis Communication
- CJ 490 - ST: Interview & Interrogation
- CJ 444 - Violent Crime
- CJ 422 - Crisis Management
- CJ 412 - Undercover Investigations
- CJ 408 - Agency Practicum
- CJ 401 - Legal Aspects of Drug Abuse
- CJ 377 - Juvenile Justice System
- CJ 346 - Terrorism
- CJ 309 - White-Collar Crime
- CJ 302 - Judicial Process and Procedures
- CJ 301 - Organized Crime
- CJ 201 - Criminal Law
- CJ 175 - Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation
- CJ 101 - Introduction to Criminal Justice
- Crisis Communication
- Crisis Management
- Crime Prevention/Personal Safety
- Hostage Negotiation
- School Violence
- Undercover Investigations
- Workplace Violence
- American Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- Academy of Criminal Justice Science
- American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers
- American Association of University Professors
- International Association of Hostage Negotiators
- International Police Association
- National Tactical Officers Association
- Northeastern Association of Criminal Justice Sciences
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Justice Educators
- FBI Agents Association
- Alpha Phi Sigma -- National Criminal Justice Honors Society
- Saint Thomas More -- Alvernia University Criminal Justice Honors Society