Helping students reach their potential takes more than administrative training — it takes leadership. That's why Alvernia University offers the Superintendent's Letter of Eligibility program. School superintendent and academic administration as a whole is a growing field. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts employment of education administrators to grow — so you can be in demand doing what you love.Innovative Program. Successful Leaders.
Alvernia University has designed this program for educators seeking leadership positions at classroom, school district, and community levels in curriculum, instruction, and supervision. It is designed to prepare students to be strategic system leaders who can effectively and ethically bring about continuous system improvements that result in increased student achievement.
This program combines a number of unique features not generally found in most superintendent programs. The Superintendent's Letter of Eligibility program aims to develop self-directed and competent district-wide administrators who are capable of decision-making in all phases of their professional responsibilities.Shaping the Future of Education Administration.
Students will find that the program provides:
- The knowledge and skills to think and plan strategically, creating an organizational vision around personalized student success.
- An understanding of standards-based systems theory and design and the ability to transfer that knowledge to the leader’s job as an architect of standard-based reform in The school.
- The ability to access and use appropriate data to inform decision-making at all levels of the system.
- The skills necessary to collaborate, communicate, engage, and empower others inside and outside the organization to pursue excellence in learning.
- The ability to create a culture of teaching and learning with an emphasis on learning.
Although not required for admission to the program, certification by the state of Pennsylvania requires a minimum of six years of successful teaching experience, not less than three of which shall have been in a supervisory or administrative capacity. This requirement must be completed before certification endorsement is granted by Alvernia University. Full PDE requirements can be accessed at the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.
View the curriculum required for this certification, read about the program in our Superintendent's Letter of Eligibility handbook, learn more about our admission process, or request more information.
Spencer S. Stober, B.S.Ed., M.S., Ed.D.
Professor of Biology
Director, Ph.D. Program in Leadership
“This program combines a number of unique features not generally found in most superintendent certification programs. It aims to develop self-directed and competent district-wide administrators who are capable of decision-making in all phases of their professional responsibilities.”
Sister Margaret Anne Dougherty, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Principal & Superintendent’s
Letter Certification Programs
“The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the employment of education administrators will grow. So our students can be in demand, while doing what they love.”
Click image for a
downloadable student handbook.