PDE Weekly Email Oct. 7, 2011: There are changes, effective immediately, in the PA School Code 49.121 for certification for Ed Leadership program guidelines for those who are pursuing a Superintendent Letter of Eligibility and/or Principal certification. The changes are in the definitions of education experience and are detailed below.
- The Candidate must hold a diploma from a College or other institution approved by the
Department of Education.
- The Candidate has had three (3) years of relevant professional experience.
- The Candidate satisfies the requirements of sections 1209 referring to good moral character.
Note: Candidates that do not hold an active instructional certification may be awarded a Principal’s certificate; however, they may not hold a Principal’s position in a public school setting.
SUPERINTENDENT’S LETTER OF ELIGIBILITY
- The Candidate must hold a diploma from a College or other institution approved by the Department of Education.
- The Candidate must have six (6) years’ of successful teaching experience, not less than three (3) years’ of which shall have been in a supervisory or administrative capacity
- The Candidate must have completed a college of university graduate program that is approved by the Department of Education and includes the Pennsylvania School Leadership standards.
Effective September 1, 2012 candidates for Principal’s certification will be required to successfully complete the School Leadership Licensure Assessment Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision test (1011 or 6011). The Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (0411) will be accepted if passed prior to August 31, 2012 and within ten years of the date of application.
Principal K-12 and Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility certifications are obtained through the TIMS website. Applicants may follow the general guidelines in filing for certification if directions are needed. Work experience is a necessary component of this application process.
Dr. Phyllis Miller
Education / Certification Coordinator
Upland Center, Room 104