Guided by Franciscan values and the ideal of “knowledge joined with love,” and rooted in the Catholic and liberal arts traditions, Alvernia is a rigorous, caring, and inclusive learning community committed to academic excellence and to being and fostering:
The mission statements of the Bernardine Franciscan Sisters and Alvernia University are the sources of the five core values from the Franciscan tradition:
All members of the Alvernia community including trustees, administration, faculty, staff, and students embrace Alvernia’s core values.
The roots that were to become Alvernia University were planted in 1926 when the Bernardine Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis established a Teacher’s Seminarium for the education of the Sisters. Thirty-two years later, 1958, the institution was expanded into a four-year liberal arts college. Alvernia received its charter from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1960.Read More