The past four years the O’Pake Institute has sponsored a film series using films to foster a discussion about issues related to citizenship and ethical leadership. The Fall 2016 series will feature Half the Sky and Charlie Wilson’s War. Both films will be screened at 6PM in the Bernardine Lecture Hall on the Alvernia Campus and will be followed by a panel discussion.
O’Pake Sponsored Lectures
Each year, the Institute hosts two lectures, one in the Fall and one in the Spring.
- Annual O’Pake Lecture: Each Fall, the O’Pake Institute sponsors a lecture which focuses on leadership, public service and important topical issues. The Inaugural lecture featured U. S. Senator Bob Casey. Other presentations featured U. S. Congressman Jim Gerlach and a panel discussion about the Death Penalty. The 2016 Lecture will featured U. S. Congressman Charlie Dent.
- Batdorf Lecture: Each spring in partnership with the Berks County Bar Association, the Institute sponsors a Batdorf Lecture, named in honor of David Batdorf. The program focuses on contemporary ethical issues.
- Both lectures are open to both the campus and the broader community.
Leaders, Entrepreneurs and Innovators
In collaboration with its Alvernia partners, Leadership Berks and the Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership, during the 2016-17 academic year the O’Pake Institute will co-sponsor a series of programs around leaders, entrepreneurs and innovators.
- Jim Kouzes Lecture: On October 18, Jim Kouzes author and nationally recognized expert on Exemplary Leadership will speak at an 7:30 AM Breakfast Program at the Doubletree Hotel in downtown Reading, to kick off the series.
- Young Entrepreneur Panel: On November 17th at 4 PM in the McGlinn Conference Center a panel of three young entrepreneurs will talk about the inspiration for their work and the lessons that they have learned from their efforts. The panelists include Jessica Jackley, a cofounder of Kiva, an international micro-enterprise loan fund. Appearing with Jessica will be Muyambi Muyambi, founder of Bicycles Against Poverty and Jordy Leiser, co-founder of StellaService.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
- Additional programming will be presented in the spring.