Center for Ethics and Leadership

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Congratulations, Mr. President

Congratulations to Barack Obama on being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. That's what you say when your president wins something like that. Unfortunately, the right-wing has decided to insult the Nobel committee, even as it celebrated the loss of Chicago's Olympic bid. The Grand Old Party, with no spokespersons other than these, has now become the party of bitterness and spite. And of course some have insisted on bringing race into it negatively.

I did not realize the Nobel Peace Prize had an affirmative action quota for it, but that is the only thing I can think of for this news . . . The Peace Prize reaffirms it s a joke. But now a sad joke.

That's from Erick Erikson of frequently searched conservative blog redstate.com.

Sigh.

6 Comments:

• There are so many problems in this world, the Peace Prize Award reminds us all that there is hope. President Obama joins some pretty respectable recipients....Teddy Roosevelt, Desmond Tutu, Arafat, DeKlerk, and Mandela - a rather liberal leaning bunch. As for the quota, sadly the comment is both racist and inappropriate.

Indeed, congratulations Mr. President.

By Blogger kobe2, At October 12, 2009 3:21 PM

• I think they need to leave Obamas' race alone. It seems like everything this man does people are basing it off race. That will never end but I agree that quote was very inappropriate.

By Anonymous Katie L., At October 14, 2009 12:27 PM

• When I saw the paper that morning, I shed a tear or two of joy. Your President...I agree. Obama has already done great things, and I believe his receiving the Nobel Peace Prize is quite warranted.But, I also have no problem with his receiving the award because of his ability to offer all of us hope either--hope of what is to come. As was believed by Tolkien, we have no right to despair when there is hope.

By Anonymous hlk, At October 15, 2009 7:28 AM

• I believe the critics are basing ther comments on the fact that nothing yet has warranted an award of this magnitude. PROMISE of hope and change for the better is great, but just because I predict a World Series victory does not entitle me to the MVP award before I actually accomplish anything.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 19, 2009 10:42 AM

• I have to argue against the anonymous writer because Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize based on the spirit that he has invoked in not just the American people, but around the world. The committee would not have submitted Obama's name EVEN before the election took place. Obama has been able to lift the spirits of so many people to look to the brighter future, just as Mandela, Arafat, and other recipients have done. This is an amazing award that the President received, and the American people should be rallying behind him, not looking at this prize in shock. Lets be American's and support our President who is actually doing good in the world and has restored our image in the world, that was greatly destroyed during the last presidency...

By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 21, 2009 11:47 AM

• well as for me he has never lifted my spirits...and when I think about the Nobel Peace Prize, I always come back to one questio....for what? You cannot seriously compare him to Roosevelt and Mandela!?

By Anonymous "who I am", At October 23, 2009 7:12 AM