Center for Ethics and Leadership

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Civility II

Some Catholics were outraged that Sen Kennedy received a Catholic funeral because of his position on abortion. Fortunately, Cardinal O'Malley, a Franciscan, defended his presiding over the requiem liturgy. This is more than a question of civility as the cardinal pointed out. It is about whether we believe in the mercy and forgiveness of God, or whether we think we have the authority to say, as one objector put it, that the mass was one more example of the senator spitting in the face of Christ.

11 Comments:

• In my opinion, I feel people over react on these types of issues. I mean, if the man was a well serving catholic, who had faith in god and the mission of the church, then let him have a rightful funeral. I think sometimes that the media blows these things way out of proportion. If he was a the average Joe, this dispute most likely wouldn't have taken place.

Kudos to Cardinal O'Malley!

By Anonymous Sean Hartman, At September 10, 2009 8:44 AM

• Senator Kennedy did many things in his life that would be pleasing to God. I think it is sad that there are so many people out there who seem to only focus on the subject of abortion. Why don't people focus on things like the work the Senator did to help the poor.

By Anonymous Alisha, At September 10, 2009 11:48 AM

• The question of civility is near and dear to me - I find the courseness of most conversation to be a sign of ignorance and arrogance. To be so self-centered to not think that our behavior is important is just a sign of our selfish times. Intelligent conversation needs to be encouraged so that polarization is minimized.

By Anonymous Steve Ohnsman, At September 11, 2009 8:02 AM

• How easy it is for the living to sit in judgement of the dead...
    John 8:7 please.

By Blogger kobe2, At September 13, 2009 2:48 PM

• I think they shouldn't waste time worrying about the issue of abortion and realize he was a devoted Catholic his whole life. Catholics should not have to follow a guideline of how to live your life, as long as you are a good person, abortion is your choice. Going back to Senator Kennedy that shouldn't even be an issue but when your well-known people will always have something negative to say about you.

By Anonymous Katie Longlott, At September 14, 2009 10:43 AM

• I agree with Sean, in many cases no matter who it was, the media always twists stories from their pasts to make them out to be bad or negative in some peoples eyes. I believe that in his passing, we should rejoice and remember the great things that he did.

By Anonymous Angela Bartholomew, At September 14, 2009 12:17 PM

• Not being catholic it is hard for me to comment, although I have seen this type of "holier than thou" attitude in my own belief system. There are unfortunately many who presume they are better than you. O how they lack the knowledge that they are both ignorant and aragant. It is not for us to be "perfect", but to aspire to the perfection of God.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 15, 2009 1:57 PM

• I feel that people are taking this issue way out of proportion. When these people are looking at the life of Kennedy all they see are the negative aspects of it. They aren't looking at all of the good he had done. If he had faith in God and he was a practicing catholic he deserves the funeral.

By Anonymous Justin Oister, At September 15, 2009 4:36 PM

• When we think about it how are we to decide who does and does not deserve a catholic funeral? This man did other great things. He did not just take a stand on abortion that Catholics disapproved of. You can be a Catholic without believing every single aspect of it. in my opinion no one should have questioned this mans funeral, no matter what his beliefs were.

By Anonymous Danielle Gallagher, At September 15, 2009 7:37 PM

• The problem with being Catholic is a true, solid Catholic would never question or go against anything the church/pope said. Every rule and regulation would be adhered to unquestionably. So that would leave no room for the idea of abortion to be discussed. The Catholic leaders don't like those of us who are as they say "cafeteria Catholics"--we pick and chose which laws we like and stick to them. This is one reason I have a hard time with organized religion. It is man-made and man-run. I believe in God, and I really really hope He is as forgiving and loving and merciful as he says!

By Anonymous Anne W, At September 16, 2009 10:32 AM

• oh my God this people are soo judgemental. well why dont they just live their lives.

By Anonymous Lesbian Singles, At November 16, 2009 11:33 PM