Center for Ethics and Leadership

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Two Michaels, Two Controversies

Michael Jackson and Michael Vick, people sure like to be hatin' on 'em.

So here goes. MJ was a genius. When he died, the various music video cable channels played his greatest videos over and over. They were and are terrific, as are the songs and his performances. He was a very frightened child who grew up into a very troubled man. I never bought the accusations, however, and a few weeks ago a guy from my old neighborhood -- I might have gone to high school with his older brother -- who spent time as Michael's bodyguard was on the radio promoting his new book. He didn't buy the accusations, either. He said Michael was set up, and this guy had no reason to lie.

As for Michael Vick, he served his time and that's that. The Eagles waxed righteous and talked about giving him a second chance. Baloney! Their failed second string quarterback, Kevin Kolb, is injured, and they are in trouble at the only position that the organization thinks is sacrosanct, quarterback. Vick is not a good quarterback, although immensely talented, but he is a legitimate NFL quarterback. And he was cheap at $1.6 million.

6 Comments:

• I've been waiting for a MJ post. There are rumblings in the news that a or some family member is considering a wrongful death suit against the doctor. Where does the 'victim's' personal responsibility begin and the doctor's personal and professional responsibility begin? An overdose by a chronic abuser sounds like a personal problem to me.

As for the MV, flawed character - Go Giants!

By Blogger kobe2, At August 20, 2009 6:19 AM

• I think the fact that MJ's death was ruled a homicide says a lot about how much info the media keeps from us, and the charater of the people that were probably wringing him for the money they could get. It's a shame a legend had to so young and so close to a comeback that may have rocked the world of music more that Thriller itself.

By Anonymous Corey, At August 29, 2009 2:28 PM

• There are so many different accusations going around about MJ. there are rumors saying that he is not even dead at all and that he set up his own death. the same things happened after the death of the rap star tupac. it is so difficult to tell what is fact or fiction in media these days. as for mike vick i agree with what the eagles did. they didnt pay 1.6 million for mike vick the man who spent time in jail for killing dogs, they paid that money for mike vick the football player. he did his time and paid his debt to society. i was at the game on thursday and it seemed that the only people who had a problem with vick were the 5 people standing outside of the stadium with their protest signs while inside the stadium every time vick stepped on the field he recieved a standing ovation. so lets just play some football!! Go Eagles. go for it all

By Anonymous justin oister, At August 31, 2009 3:51 PM

• Being a dog lover and a pit bull owner I'm not much of a fan of Vick. I dont agree with the fact that "he did his time." He didnt even feel what he was doing was wrong until he got caught which indicates his morals are questionable. And now he gets a second chance, with all the fame and money that goes along with it, and its as if he didnt even do any wrong on the first place. Whats that supposed to be teaching?

By Blogger aludy, At September 1, 2009 9:51 AM

• M.Jackson's music was an inspiration on so many people including myself. He knew how to work with the crowd and how to entertain. I believe his death was set of, i believe those doctors are responsible for his death. Michael was a good man and people made so many comments about him. Others made false accusations about this guy that were not true. He came from a rough childhood and a cruel father that abused him. He stepped forward in life and did his best to become someone greater. He started out little and look at him today. How many people were affected by his death? Alot!! And me included...

By Anonymous liz fortuner, At September 10, 2009 6:30 AM

• I was very sad on the day MJ died.I was playing all his music in my car.Wish he could be alive right now.MJ we are missing you.

By Anonymous Bollywood News, At February 2, 2010 8:32 PM